Michael Sampson sent me a copy of his white paper: SharePoint for Business. I met Michael at the Enterprise 2.0 conference last week. The paper focuses much more on the “soft” issues than the technical requirements.
His six step framework:
- Develop a vision on the business reasons for deploying SharePoint within the organization.
- Get the technical implementation of SharePoint right.
- Lead people to develop competence in the various tools available in SharePoint.
- Develop shared agreements on SharePoint practices.
- Avoid the pitfalls of earlier collaboration.
- Cultivate the practices of collaboration.
One of his tasks in step 3 is to create and publicize a SharePoint sandbox where users can explore the capabilities (and limitations) of SharePoint in an informal setting. I am a big fan of giving users the ability to explore features of the tool on their own.